Goals of the lesson
Students are expected to learn about the classification of d.c generators and their characteristics in this lesson. After going through this lesson they will be able to:
1. differentiate different types of d.c generators along with their schematic representations.
2. identify, looking at the circuit diagram of a given generator, the types of the generator i.e., whether the generator is shunt, separately excited or compound generator.
3. sketch the important characteristics (no load and load characteristics) of different types of generators.
4. identify various factors responsible for internal voltage drop.
5. understand the conditions to be fulfilled so as to build up voltage in a shunt generator.
6. predict the load characteristic of a shunt generator from its open circuit characteristic.
7. locate the shunt and series field coils in the machine and comment on their relative number of turns and cross sectional areas.
excellent study note on D.C Generators by IIT professor