What is mean by Engineering Design?

Download excellent quality study note and ebooks of amie section a in pdf,ppt,doc format
Post Reply
subham
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 955
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:23 pm

What is mean by Engineering Design?

Post by subham »

In the 1980s when companies in the United States first began to seriously feel the impact of quality products from overseas, it was natural for them to place an emphasis on reducing their manufacturing costs through automation and moving plants to lower-labor-cost regions. This has stimulated a rash of experimentation and sharing of results about better ways to do product design. What was once a fairly cut-and-dried engineering process has become one of the cutting edges of engineering progress.

The importance of design is nicely summed up in Fig. 1. This shows that only a small fraction of the cost to produce a product (5 percent) is involved with the design process, while the other 95 percent of cost is consumed by the materials, capital, and labor to manufacture the product. Decisions made in the design process cost very little in terms of the overall product cost but have a major effect on the cost of the product.

The second major impact of design is on product quality. The old concept of product quality was that it was achieved by inspecting the product as it came off the production line. Today we realize that true quality is designed into the product. You cannot compensate in manufacturing for defects introduced in the design phase.
fig1.png
FIG . 1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What is mean by Engineering Design?

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

rsathishkumar.r
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Re: What is mean by Engineering Design?

Post by rsathishkumar.r »

Hi,

The Chapter 1 Fundamental design and manufacturing note uploaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply

Return to “Design and Manufacturing (AD 301))”